Monday, May 5, 2008

Dear friends and family,

As promised, I've attached some pictures of Allison. Thank you to all of you for your support and notes for our family, we really appreciate it. Allison is doing good - we've had our ups and downs, but she is making progress day by day. Her weight is now 1lb 6oz - lost weight at birth as expected, but is gaining it back. She is starting to be fed 1 ml every 4 hours - 1 ml =literally drops, it's amazing. I had the opportunity to finally hold her yesterday - which was just wonderful. We do "kangaroo care" where they actually put her in my shirt and we cuddle skin to skin. I got to change her diaper yesterday too for the first time. It was like dressing a Barbie doll. We also had her baptized yesterday, so it was quite a day for her.

She has a lot of sweet facial expressions and responds to our voices - it makes my heart just melt. We are spending most of our days at Royal Oak Beaumont. The staff and her nurses have become like second family. We can call and check on her anytime we want and can stay with her as much as we'd like, so that really helps. I can't say enough great things about Beaumont and their staff - truly amazing.

We've been so fortunate to have Matt's parents and my Mom stay with us and help with everything at home - we could not have made it through this first week without them!

Again, thanks to all of you for your well wishes and prayers!

Love, Matt, Nicole and Allison

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Shepard Family,
I am one of Mark's friend from college. My name is Jourdan Thompson. I was with Mark while we were awaiting to here of the arrivial of Allison. She is beautiful! Congrats! She is doing well by the looks of it and she has one strong family standing behind her. She is going to be one Strong little girl. She has so much love helping her through this along with you both as well. Congrats once again and chin up. She is a fighter! Sending love and prayers everyday!
Jourdan

ksl said...

Hello Baby Allison, Mom, and Dad

I am Matt's Aunt Karen and great auntie to Allison. Even though we are far away, we are close in thought and prayers. Hugs and kisses to the three of you!
Aunt Karen and family
P.S. Happy Mother's Day, Nicole.

Unknown said...

Dear Nicole and Matt,
Our prayers are with you and especially for little Allison. What a blessing she is! Your mother keeps us posted but it so nice to be able to read your blog for updated information. Have a wonderful Mother's Day and enjoy your baby girl. Know that we will continue prayers for Allison.
Love, Terry and Marti

Lillian said...

Dearest Nicole, Matt and Allison;
I have you all in my thoughts and prayers. You have a precious baby girl! Nicole, Happy first Mothers Day! I pray that little Allison grows as big and strong as the love you both have for her. The Kangaroo Care sounds amazing and I am sure those feeling are overwhelming. With all the beauty of having Allison I know that you are also going through some difficult times. Keep you strenght and faith high. May God always bless you. Allison does sound like a real fighter. Soon as Allison has her strength she will be in her home and in your gentle hands. I look forward to meeting her for the first time. Love, Lillian Durham xxxooo