Saturday, May 10, 2008

May 10, 2008 (Saturday Morning)




The nickname around the NICU for her is now "Alli-Cat". One of our nurses told us that Allison is one of the toughest girls he has ever seen. She is doing well but her newest challenge is her PDA - a duct in the heart that closes after birth in full term babies but in preemies is more likely to stay open and causes a back-flow of blood into the lungs. It made her vitals fluctuate the last two days but she is now on a medicine that hopefully will fix the problem. She has surpassed her birth weight and is quite the eater. Nicole changes her diapers now and is excited about it (a "treat" she can do as long as she wants). I had the opportunity to hold her yesterday for the first time, an experience I will never forget.

Thank you again to all of you for your thoughts, prayers and generosity. It is shocking the outpouring of love that we have experienced and words alone cannot express how grateful we are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt and Nicole,

I love that I am able to get updates on Allison through this blog. How ironic that her new nickname is "Alli-cat"...I'm sure Matt loves this!!

I wanted to leave you lyrics to one of my favorite songs about children...it fits so well with little Allison.

LET THEM BE LITTLE

I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand.
You felt so good in it; no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me you're changin' with every blink.
Faster than a flower blooms, they grow up all too soon.

So let them be little,
'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.

I never felt so much in one little tender touch.
I live for those kisses, your prayers an' your wishes.
An' now you're teachin' me how only a child can see.
Tonight, while we're on our knees, all I ask is:

let them be little...


I love you all very much,
Tara

The Stockdales said...

Happy Mother's Day, Nicole! We've been following Allison's story via this blog & it's wonderful to know that she continues to grow and develop. Wishing you all only the best.

John and Beth Stockdale

Anonymous said...

Hello there to Matt, Nicole & little Allison -

All of us from school are pulling for all of you - thank you so much for sharing all of your progress with us.

Happy Mother's Day ;)

See you at EPC, Matt....
Jennifer Daneshgari